How to Silence notifications on iPhone
The last thing you want to deal with is a profusion of odd alerts while you are completely immersed in work or enjoying some peace of mind away from your busy routine. They not only generate diversions but also often demand your attention, which tends to waste valuable time. The best course of action in this circumstance is to turn off notifications on your iPhone so that incoming alerts no longer repeatedly cry for your attention. So, here’s how to turn off iPhone alerts.
Apple provides a number of options for muzzling iPhone notifications, so you may choose the one that best matches your preferences. For instance, you may instantaneously turn off all ringtones and alarms on your iOS device by using a master switch. Save it for peaceful environments when you don’t want the sound of frequent alarms to annoy others around.
The ever-reliable Do Not Disturb mode is the way to go if you want to take it a step further and need to mute all alerts for a period of time so that you may work without interruption or meditate without distraction. There is a clever approach you may use to silence individual conversations or applications that keep pestering you nonstop.
Right from the Notification Center, you can turn off the notifications for certain applications.
- To display the Notification Center, swipe down from the top of the screen. Swipe the alert to the left to see the Options and Clear buttons after that.
- Select Mute for Today or Mute for 1 Hour by tapping Options in this area. I’m done now! From now on, this app will discreetly provide alerts to your iOS device.
- If you want to unmute the app’s notifications later, go to the Notification Center, swipe left on an alert, then choose Options, then Unmute.
The ability to silence alerts on the iPhone with the ring/silent switch has always been a really handy feature. On the left side of the iPhone, and above the volume buttons, is where you’ll find this mechanical switch.
- When the orange indication is shown, press the switch to put your iPhone in quiet mode.
- Move the switch such that the orange is hidden to activate the ring mode.
You may hear warnings and ringtones when the switch is set to ring. Additionally, your voice calls and alarms won’t ring out loud while it is in quiet mode.
Turning down the volume all the way is a very simple additional method for iOS users to quiet alerts. Press the volume down button repeatedly until you receive a confirmation that your iPhone is muted on the screen.
Set the text tone on your iOS device to none if you no longer want to hear the sound of alerts.
1. Select Sounds & Haptics from the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Now, tap Text Tone and choose None.
You may even silence only certain contacts if you wish to.
- On your iPhone, open the Contacts app and find the contact you want to silence. Tap the Edit button located in the screen’s upper right corner after that.
2. Select None under Text Tone from the menu. In order to finish, be sure to hit Done in the upper right corner.
You may turn off a certain app’s notification sound using the iOS device’s notification settings.
1. Select Notifications from the Settings menu on your iOS device.
2. Next, scroll down and choose the app whose notifications you wish to turn off. Then, deactivate the toggle next to Sounds.
You may silence certain iMessage conversation threads if you want some peace and quiet or for reasons of privacy.
1. On your iOS device, open the Messages app and go to the chat thread you wish to mute.
- Next, click the bell symbol by swiping left on the conversation thread.
Do Not Disturb might be useful in situations when you might wish to improve your concentration while working or avoid constant notifications and calls disturbing you.
Calls and alerts are muted while DND is activated. You may arrange Do Not Disturb mode and only enable calls from certain persons according to your preferences.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and choose Focus.
2. Next, tap Do Not Disturb and toggle it on. After that, adjust it to your preferences.
You must go to Settings -> Do Not Disturb on an iPhone running iOS 14 or earlier.
You may activate Do Not Disturb mode from the control centre after you’ve personalized it on your smartphone.
- To access the control centre, just slide up from the bottom edge of the screen or down from the top right corner of the screen on iPhone models with Face ID.
- Then, press the little crescent moon symbol to enable DND for a certain period of time. A crescent-shaped symbol appears in the status bar and lock screen when it is switched on.
- Tap the Focus button in the control centre, which is immediately next to the crescent moon, then choose the three-dot symbol next to Do Not Disturb. From there, you can choose to activate DND for an hour, till this evening, or until you leave a certain area.
Keep in mind that with iOS 15/iPadOS 15 or later, Do Not Disturb has been included in Focus mode. Visit our comprehensive Focus mode guide to learn more about how it works.
On AirPods or Beats, Siri may broadcast incoming alerts from compatible applications including Reminders and Messages.
You can easily stop the virtual assistant from broadcasting alerts if you use headphones or earbuds that are compatible with it.
1. Open the Settings app on your iOS device and choose Notifications.
2. After that, hit Announce Notifications, after which flip the switch.
Within the app, WhatsApp also offers the option to silence certain discussions.
1. On your iPhone, launch WhatsApp and find the discussion thread you want to silence.
2. Next, click the bell symbol on the discussion thread by swiping to the left.
You may quickly silence messages here if you moved from WhatsApp to Signal.
1. Locate the conversation thread you want to quiet in the Signal app on your iOS device.
2. To silence the conversation, slide to the left on the chat thread and hit the little bell symbol.
Individual Telegram conversations may be silenced with the same ease.
1. Open the Telegram app on your iPhone and go to the conversation thread you wish to silence.
2. To end this Telegram conversation thread, slide to the left and then hit the bell symbol.
If you’re interested in improving your messaging skills on the encrypted messaging app, check out these amazing Telegram tips.
I’m done now! Now that you have control over alerts, you can hopefully stop them from disturbing your quiet.
With iOS 15, you may use Notification Summary to schedule the delivery of non-urgent notifications. In this manner, you may prevent constant barrages of less significant warnings without losing track of them. Which approach do you favour using to turn off alerts on your iPhone? Please tell us in the comments.